Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 30 - Paris, France

So here I am, sitting in the shade of the Saint Jacques tower, writing this post. Today is a glorious day. Apparently, it's the hottest day Paris has seen so far this year, and this morning was the morning I chose to wear pants! But no worries, once I had seen the cathedral of Notre-Dame and done a wee bit of shopping, I decided I had had enough and went back to the hostel to take a nap and change.

Notre-Dame was, as I had expected, as beautiful sight. With the sun rising right behind it, it made for great pictures. However, I was a bit disapointed by the surroundings. The square in front of the cathedral was not what I had expected. It is basically a medium sized concrete and brick square where hundreds of peoples waited in to go to the noon masse. I swear the line was at least two blocks long! I wanted to go in, but decided against it when I saw all the people waiting. When I think of what I had read in regards to the square, of how it was the central meeting point of the city in the past and of all the events that had taken place there, I was taken a back by how empty (and yet full of people) it was. Regardless, it was simply a minor disapointment in my grand happiness of being there. I sat in the shade of the cathedral and simply looked at it. I examined every statue of the kings, every window, every gargoyle (and secretly hoped they would move !)...

The rest of the day was spent shopping and getting lost in the city. It IS a beautiful city, and even if you do get lost, you'll find yourself discovering all sorts of things!


 

No comments: